Engineering Manager, Games
Compensation: $94,700.00 - $142,240.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Non-Executive Management
Loading some great jobs for you...
Join The New York Times as an Engineer Manager, supporting and growing a robust community of engineers. We're looking for managers across different teams, all focused on building a strong and inclusive team culture as well as working on individual engineers performance, training and hiring, along with day to day management.
The New York Times is respected for its ambitious, high-quality journalism, which has earned it an unmatched number of Pulitzer Prizes, and for its reach and influence. We are transforming the nation's "newspaper of record" into a media-tech powerhouse. We have a strong Technology department of nearly 500 people, who are well-regarded in the community; they speak at conferences and write about their work. More at:
How We Work
We employ an Agile/Scrum methodology to deliver reliable software in a predictable way. We push code to production on a regular cadence, and optimize for speed of delivery without compromising on quality. Engineering Managers, while not always directly responsible for delivery, are most definitely responsible for creating a culture and processes that keep developers happy and in the flow as they work on building value. We support Engineering Managers in this role by providing:
* Management and professional development training offered in-house
* Reimbursement for self-directed management training off-site
* Clearly defined career ladders
* Managers who really care about your career development and strongly support it
* Monthly all-managers meetings and roundtables to share knowledge and learn from peers
* A guaranteed week dedicated to learning each year
What You'll Do
* Recruit, hire, and retain software engineers
* Coach and mentor a team of 5-10 software engineers
* Give constructive feedback to help your direct reports grow and develop in their professional careers
* Facilitate work and remove obstacles
* Create and optimize software delivery and operational processes
* Work closely with product owners, project managers and other stakeholders to ensure team's deliveries
* Join a highly engaged community of engineering managers who care about engineering culture
* Lead a team who is building critical systems or user-facing products that are core to the mission of the New York Times
* At least 1-2 years of Engineering Management experience, or at least 5 years of prior software development experience and an interest in becoming a manager of engineers
* A strong interest in fostering a safe and inclusive team culture where engineers of diverse backgrounds can thrive
* Experience with building and running products or systems in a production environment
* A willingness and drive to build high performing teams that others can learn from
Current Open Roles
* Subscription Platforms Group: Join the management team leading the 6 teams that run the technology backbone for our billion-dollar subscriptions business.
* Web Platforms: The Web Platforms team is focused on maintaining and evolving the platform powering nytimes.com.
* Games (Mobile and Web): Manage engineers on a cross-functional team creating puzzles and games for Times subscribers. One team is focused on native apps, and the other uses React, Go, and node.js.
* Publishing Pipeline: Come manage the team that is building The New York Times Publishing Pipeline, using Apache Kafka.
* Discovery - Engagement, Mobile: The Discovery Group is focused on making The Times an indispensable destination for curious readers by showcasing our journalistic judgment and creativity in an easily navigable native app experience.
* Reader Guidance: Manage a small full-stack (React, Go, node.js) team that creates new and interesting digital experiences that help our readers learn and improve their lives.
* Content Delivery API (GraphQL): The Content Delivery API is the primary data source for NYTimes user-facing applications. It is designed and expected to handle bursts exceeding 10,000+ requests per second during breaking news events and also keep up with the general site traffic generated from the website, iOS, and Android apps.
* Data Engineering: Help lead the teams building the data infrastructure, data API's, and testing and targeting systems that power the data platform of The New York Times.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...